- Urad dal 1 cup
- Moong dal 1/4 cup
- Dahi 5 cups
- Green chillies, chopped 1 tsp
- Ginger grated 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida pinch
- Sugar 4 tsps
- Soak the two dals for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add salt to taste.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a frying pan and add spoonfuls of dal batter and fry until the vadas are golden brown.
- Drop the hot vadas in a bowl of cold water and leave for about 3-4 minutes.
- Take each vada out from water, squeeze the water out and set aside.
- Blend the yogurt with little water until it is smooth.
- Add sugar, salt, green chillies and ginger.
- Make a tarka (seasoning) of mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and add to yogurt.
- Keep the yogurt in refrigerator until it is chilled.
- Arrange the squeezed wadas in a deep dish.
- Pour the yogurt on the wadas such that all the wads are covered well by the yogurt.
- Sprinkle red chili powder, roasted jeera powder and black salt